Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Time off!

I have a few days off from work, so I'm going to enjoy time with my parents and siblings. It is important to regenerate those ties, we all need to know from whence we came. I'm the oldest of four, so I tend to do my own thing a bit more that the others. But I would miss any of my family at the holiday times, one less to argue with would be a shame. I wrote an essay in college once where I talked about "Situational English," describing differences in speech patterns I use depending on the situation. My father speaks fluent Salish, some Kootenai and Blackfeet, as well as English. He has forgotten all of the Latin he learned at the Ursuline School. When I talk to Dad, I use Salish interspersed with English, and he speaks back the same way. I use my best grammar and tone when teaching classes and with colleagues, and something different when at the bar. Do you use situational language as well?

No comments: